Friday, February 17, 2012

Journal 4


                There are many steps to take in order to ensure that I will be totally prepared for my trip! The main idea of my trip is backpacking – so, that means no plane tickets. I would limit my traveling to walking, taxis, buses, trains, and obviously a boat to take me from Sicily to Italy. The point of my travel log is to be spontaneous – meaning that I do not want to plan anything ahead of time. Train, boat, and bus tickets will all be purchased at the depot, harbor, or station. I will however plan the major sights which I want to see ahead of time.

                A big thing which I will do is familiarize myself with my journey via maps and travel guides. Planning my route to ensure that I will know where I am going, and also avoiding certain areas for my own safety. I think it will also be important to learn of the different cultures which I will be traveling through as I pass through Italy so that I do not do anything to offend anyone as I am passing through each region – whether that is through my clothing, actions, or whatever else may offend people from region to region.

                In preparation for my trip, I will be sure to set aside more than enough money to survive off of while experiencing my excursion. I will figure, three to four meals a day, about $15 per meal for two weeks of traveling. I will also research hostels, not Marriot hotels, and the average cost of them per night. I will also do the same for my transportation. Of course I will plan on doing fun things in Italy, such as touring different sites, hiking, and I will definitely have to establish a budget so that I can enjoy these thrills thoroughly. Lastly I will have to set aside a decent amount of money for different mementoes which I can purchase so that I can remember my trip.

                Lastly will be my clothing. I will have to research what the usual weather conditions will be like for the time of year which I will be traveling. I will also have to make it a point to find a place to wash my clothes. Since I am back packing, I won’t be able to carry a large suitcase with me during my travels, so I won’t have much room for a lot of clothing.

1 comment:

  1. Your trip sounds great! Backpacking through Italy would be fantatic ... I really like that you wouldn't do much planning. I am the same way. I like the have whatever experience the day brings; good, bad, even ugly. If I may say, from my trip to Rome, if you plan on eating regular food it won't cost you $15 per meal. I mean, if you go for a fancy 5 course meal it gets expensive but regualr food not so much. Maybe 5 or 7 Euros. For your trip, if you really plan on taking it, one of your steps should be to talk to other sdtsudents that have gone to Rome. They can give you a lot of information on where to visit, what to eat, and even hint at what time of year would be best to go. I hope that this trip turns out for you, it sounds amazing and Italy is an amazing country!

    ReplyDelete