Friday, March 30, 2012

Journal 8

Food! Well, I think it is safe to say that there is not a more likeable topic for me than this one! I should probably get the topic of Dalrymple out of the way before I begin talking about my own appetite so that I do not forget! When I began reading Dalrymple’s Xandu, I had the impression that Dalrymple needed a double quarter pounder or a Chicago deep dish or something! What was with all of the food references? Was I mistaken or was he even personifying a man’s beard with a salt and pepper like appearance?
Looking at my own indulgences now, I first want to reference my competition back in October. My twelve week diet was encompassed with nothing more than oats, egg whites, cooked spinach, broccoli, green beans, 6 ounces of steak every 3 days, chicken, canned tuna, brown rice and yams. Doesn’t sound too bad? Imagine eating nothing but that for three months. I dieted from the beginning of July until the beginning of October. Having said that, the night my show was over was like rediscovering food, and to say the least I haven’t taken food for granted since! Now, I’m Italian, what a better place for a young food crazed half Dago to go than to the country of his origin? I’m talking spaghetti and meatballs, fresh mozzarella, chicken parmesan, fresh gelato, carbonara, linguini, lasagna, Italian wedding soup, fresh baked breads, pizza marinara, pizza romana, pizza pugliese, pizza siciliana, biscotti, tiramisu, semifreddo, pizzelle, crostada. Those are some of the foods in which I would indulge myself in! I would not limit myself, but I think it is safe to say that I would allow some extra money in my budget for food.
Now I do not want to come off as a glutton. Ok, maybe I am, but not in a sinful way. As an amateur natural bodybuilder it’s in my nature to eat a lot, not to mention the fact that I’m Italian, let’s face it, we Italians, we eat, and we go to church, and we drink wine. Going to Italy would be an experience in every way of the word. Anytime I go somewhere, I look for a restaurant unique to that area. The way which I see it is, why am I going to go somewhere new and eat the same old stuff? Try something new and enjoy it.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote Adam! And believe me, when it comes to food, I'm a glutton too! One of my favorite things to do when I go to a restaurant that has new and exotic foods, I love reading and studying the menu. Its especially helpful when they have the little pictures next to them to show what the food looks like. It's interesting and the food speaks for itself really.. And you definately made me hungry while reading your journal.. THANKS! HAHA

    Corey F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I enjoyed most from your resposne, aside from the list of delicious delectables, was when you talk about traveling and finding places to eat that are unique to that area. I am the exact same way. No matter where I am, 1/2 hour from home or in another country, I jump straight into anything that I've never seen or heard of before. I have some friends that have the pallet of a 5 year old. No matter where we go it seems like they only order chicken fingers. WHAT IS SO FUCKING SPECIAL ABOUT CHICKEN FINGERS! Ok, anyways, it seems so silly to me why they don't get something they've never had before or something they've tasted, naturally off of someone else plate because they got chicken fingers. I'm glad to see someone with such an adventerous pallet actually exisits out there, other than me of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah - nice call on Dalrymple's obsession - he wrote later about how he was hungry all the time, but his ravings were mostly unconscious...

    ReplyDelete