Sunday, March 18, 2012

Journal 6

                Considering that my trip will be back packing throughout the country of Italy, I will be crossing many borders. First there will be the borders of one country to another. Then there will be my transitions throughout the island of Sicily; then onto the boot, and up the long beautiful Italian landscape.
                Let’s face it; physical borders won’t be the only thing which I will be crossing. The largest border which will be crossed is leaving the comforts of home. I will be the first to admit, I have it pretty good here is the States. I have a roof over my head, food readily accessible for either purchase or cooking , money when I need it, friends and family, and I’m immersed in a language in which I am fluent. Life, is, good. Now, just like Russel’s travels from native Dublin, to hostile Bosnia, I am leaving all of those comforts of home here in the states, in pursuit of a journey in which I will be my only dependent. Because let’s face it, I don’t speak Italian, If I get into trouble, I better hope that my little Italian speaking dictionary can save my ass, or that I’ll be fortunate enough to find someone who speaks Italian. Be that as it may, my trip will be considerably less inimical than Russel’s trip to Bosnia. How bad can Italy be?
Things to consider though – Money to eat, because I won’t be have a stove in my backpack, also to purchase a room in a hostile along my travels, and also for train tickets, and lastly so that I am able to really experience Italy, and see the sites! Another factor for consideration, clothing – how am I to pack enough clothing for one week in on book bag. Being one to care about what others think, I truly have a lot of insight as to my appearance and my, let me be subtle, smell. It is also my uneducated opinion that Italians may not be too fond of a stranger who is traveling along (possibly another border? Putting it nicely but I’ve come across some pretty foul smelling people in public in the US) smelling of dirty clothes and body odor – for this reason I must work out a way to find either a way to wash my clothes or bring enough toiletries and fresh clothing along with me.

2 comments:

  1. I like your honesty in your blog. Also, you hit a lot of different borders that you might face, including physical and phylisophical ones. You bring up a big point about your trip ... how to stay clean and fresh. I would assume that when you stay overnight in hostel you have a shower available, but a washer and dryer Im not so sure. That's a really good thing to think about ... maybe youll just end up washing your clothes in a stream with some soap? Now, that would be the ultimate backpacking experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time spent in a laundromat is a key part of any trip like this...sorry...

    ReplyDelete