Sunday, March 25, 2012

Journal 7

                In this week’s journal we are asked to compare the works of three authors which we read about in class. The catch, while all three authors are considered to be in the genre of travel writing, their styles within the genre are vastly different in comparison to one another and to the norm.
                Matthiessen’s, the Cloud Forest, is written via journal entry. Obviously when recording in a journal entry, daily recordings of the journal are going to be made. Matthiessen is very particular and detailed in terms of describing to the reader what he sees, experiences, hears, etc. This is a very effective way of personifying the experience so that the reader can actually bring the experience to life; however, this can be hit or miss, given that the writer is good at describing the events to the reader, which seems to be the case throughout Matthiessen’s works.
                Looking at Dalrymple, I was a bit stumped; the only thing I could take from his work was his tendency to compare his experiences to those which have already occurred. He closely looked at the journeys of Marco Polo, and wrote of the comparison between his trip and that of Polo’s. I like to think of Dalyrymple as a historian of sorts, bridging the gap between past and future with a comparative writing linking the past to his present events.
                Cahill seemed to take a serious yet humorous look about things, which reminded me of a sarcastic type of writing style. I felt like I could closely relate to this type of reading because I have a tendency to be sarcastic as well. Therefore, I feel that it is fair to say that this is my favorite style of the three. Giving a more specific example - his main focus in our reading, drugs, and his experiences were primarily about the experiences which occurred while the self-induced high was taking place. Clarifying –I did not feel as closely related to his writings because of the drugs – just because of his sarcasm and lack of seriousness at times, I believe it inspired a lax and laid back personality.
                After reading both works I think that it is apparent that Cahills works are more of my liking, obviously because of my sarcastic yet serious outlook on life – although I feel that he takes the drugs outlook a bit too far.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really have any comments, our resposnes are quite the same. The only difference was your liking of Cahill's style the best. In my response I say that Chill came in a close second to Dalrymple's stlye, but I agree with you that his serious humor is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you and Adam matched...

    ReplyDelete